Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 31-38 Load out of San Jose...leaving behind Christian, Travel day to San Diego, San Diego Veggie Sushi...

The load out of San Jose was tough for one reason only...The TD Christian, he is wonderful. He is tall, dark, and handsome...kind, funny, and completely lovable. He had sent me a link to a couple running trails in the area...how sweet was that?!?

On Monday I drove down from San Jose to San Diego with our Lead Wardrobe Gal, Brigid. The drive down was verrrrrry boring because 75% of it was in heavy fog. I HATE driving in heavy fog because it doesn't feel like you are going anywhere at all. We stopped a few times for leg stretches, coffee, and finally In and Out Burger...yummy! I had a veggie burger which is really just the bun and all the fixings minus the meat and cheese. I had forgot to order it without the thousand island so there was a minor glitch in the vegan diet that day (also I must remember to look up their ingredients of their buns). You don't really notice the absence of meat when you get the flavors of everything else and not to mention their ever so famous french fries! The drive took about 8 hours and the very last bit of it was in some light so cal traffic, which wasn't terrible because the sun was shining and all was beautiful.

After we arrived and I unloaded 4 grocery bags, 2 suitcases, a big box, and my purse it was hard to believe that we were going to be here for a week. I need to seriously lose about half the stuff I am lugging around while I have my car. For dinner I went to this place called Sushi Deli 2 and it was the BEST veggie sushi I have ever had!!! The waitress I had was super fantastic and a vegetarian so she recommended some great rolls to try! They had my favorite roll which is tempura yam with avocado on top. I love it!!!!! I went there a total of three times this week.

The next day I made a trip to Ralph's to gather some other necessary groceries:
- Orowheat Whole Wheat and Double Fiber bread (no eggs, honey, or dairy!)
-I make really yummy PB and Banana sandwiches on this bread or PB & J with smuckers organic grape jelly and Skippy's All Natural Creamy PB.
- Wheat Sourdough bread (no eggs, or dairy) and very yummy!!
-This bread is for my tofurkey and fake cheese sandwiches with spicy mustard and veggie crisps. Also great for dunking in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a touch of garlie salt.
- Tofutti American "Cheese" absolutely no casein in this, which isn't the case in a lot of other soy cheeses. It was a happy find!
- Apples (Gala, Red Delicious, Pink Lady)
- Bananas
- Paper Plates (to be thrown away in the recycling bin - well done Westin Hotel!!)
- Straws (disposable...couldn't find reusable ones...these are for my protein shakes)
- Soy Yogurt
- Chili beans
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Seasoning Salt
- Garlic Salt

The theatre we are playing at is great! It's the Civic Theatre. Love it. Love the house staff. Awesome. This is the first theatre that I have seen other shows in and also get to work in. It feels great! I saw Rent with Shannon and Danielle and Miss Saigon with Linz and Jason years ago.

The weather here is so beautiful and it's going to be hard to leave here tomorrow. I have decided that I will return to SD and live here after I am done touring and have lived and worked in NYC. So...several years from now, but I'm still ecstatic about it.

I was able to see Monty, Genn, and Justin while in San Diego and it was great! When Monty saw me the first thing he said to me was that I looked really healthy which made me feel good because I think there is a misconception about vegans looking un-healthy or weak. I find that I look the opposite and feel fantastic! In the past month that I have been living the vegan lifestyle I have maintained my weight but still lost inches. I can only attribute it to the fact that I am keeping my muscle mass, but continuing to lose fat. I have kept up the jogging every other day and because of that I make sure to get all my protein and carbs more than I think I normally would have. The veggies are much easier to eat now as well and I never thought those words would pass my lips.

Tomorrow we will be traveling to LA and performing there for 2 weeks. I'm really excited to be near some great health food stores that I know of there...Erewhon, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's...and I'm sure I can hunt down a few more. Seeing Linz, the Elephant Theatre Company, and hopefully some former teachers will be the highlight of these next two weeks....then off to Arizona.

Love and peace,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment