Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day 14-16 Santa Barbara into San Bernardino, CA

So before I left Santa Barbara I made another trip to the Natural Cafe and had Tempeh Tacos with beans and rice. These were not my favorite, but very edible. The 3 shows in Santa Barbara went by quickly and then we were on our way to San Bernardino after load out.

Driving in California brings me a lot joy, maybe more than it should. All the streets in Cali are very comforting to me and it makes me feel like I am home. It was fun on the short road trip to point out to Catherine (my Production Stage Manager) where my family lives along the way. The drive was just over 2 hours and we stayed awake and alive by singing christmas carols that were on the radio and swapping stories. By the way...what's with all the crazy new christmas songs?? Anytime a traditional song would come on we would give a huge "FINALLY!!!!!" and then belt to our hearts content.

Load in to San Bernardino seemed to last FOR-EV-ER. Catherine and I stayed in good humor because the weather was so beautiful and the coffee was free flowing. The donuts were calling my name but I have been really good about asking to see ingredients before popping something delicious in my mouth and I wasn't about to destroy all my hard work on a few boxes of YUM YUM DONUTS....damn those chocolate covered baked devils. While talking to the locals about being vegan and saying no to such baked goods one of the women offered me some fruit...very sweet of her to offer.

Lunch today was going to be at Subway, but the line was longer than it should have been in my opinion so we went across the street to Franky's Donuts and Deli...I am determined to find a vegan donut. They had veggie burgers here so I asked to read the bun ingredients....damn...EGGS! Lame. Ok...I asked for the veggie patty on the garnish...with fries. Less than fantastic, but still was able to have lunch. Ryan (Associate Company Manager and present lunch date) went up to the counter to get an "apple ugly"...apparently in Florida that's what they call apple fritters. It was the size of his head and looked absolutely delicious. I MUST HAVE A DONUT!!!!!! I went to the counter to ask about ingredients and before I could even open my mouth Ryan piped up to ask about animal products (what a good friend). At that moment the heavens opened and the angel behind the counter let us know that there were not any animal products in the head size apple fritter. I couldn't believe my ears... "EGGS" I ask. She shakes her head no. "LARD??" "No." "DAIRY????" "No, No animals products, fried in soybean oil." HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!! As I skipped back to work eating my apple ugly I could not have been happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment