Monday, May 23, 2011

Being single

I have been thinking about how much I appreciate the single life recently and then I found myself watching a video of a co-worker's model railroad track that he had built.  He obviously put a lot of work into this tiny masterpiece and it reminded me that it's totally ok to enjoy time alone and not want to spend it with anyone else.  He may very well being creating this project with someone by his side the whole time but for some reason it just felt very individual.  I know a lot of couple who would resent their significant other for spending so much time on something like a train set and that thought is so irritating to me.  And this is why I chose to be single.  I don't want to be the girlfriend who is pouting in the other room while my boyfriend spends time alone in a room with things that cannot talk back or communicate with him, nor do I want my boyfriend to be angry when I want to go spend time alone at a movie or wander around a bookstore for hours and hours or go off to a job that requires all of my time and energy. 

I enjoy my constant freedom.  I love that I can mess up and not have anyone to remind me of it later or splurge on something I really want and have a look of disappointment staring back at me when the receipt is found.  I like sleeping the wrong way in my own bed without someone stealing the covers.  Sleeping in without morning coversation is always a nice way to start my day.  And most of all I love spending time with whoever I want to spend time with at the moment without having to share my time with someone else. 

I have so many wonderful friends and family members that are married and happy with that choice and I applaud them for it.  For a long time I thought that was the life I wanted and didn't feel complete without having a certain someone in my life, but as the years go on and I get more and more set in my ways I am coming to a place of complete peace with the thought of being happy with my own company.  Either that or I'm destined to be a crazy cat lady.  Either way...it sounds like a plan to me.

Lots of love and peace,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment